Lessons from the UK

It’s been a little over four months since I returned home from an experience of a lifetime as a Chevening Scholar pursuing a Master’s degree in the United Kingdom. Over these four months, I have been reflecting about this beautiful experience and some of the things I learnt while on that journey of a lifetime. So, I’ve decided to share seven lessons I took from the UK, some of which, I believe, could be applied by my country for its betterment.

 
1. English is just another language, it shouldn’t be an obsession

Perhaps, I should begin this with a disclaimer: we MUST continue to learn the English language. It is the global language of communication and business. However, here at home (Eswatini), we do not just want to learn English, it has now become almost an obsession. Obviously, a lot of this also has to do with our colonial past. But, we must do away with this. We can be globally competitive without obsessing about English. Let me share a story to drive this point home. In the UK, I met two dear friends from a South American country, both of them fellow Cheveners. They told me they didn’t learn English at all at school.

One of them told me he learnt English through watching English TV shows. And yet, they both received the Chevening Scholarship, one of the world’s elite scholarships, offered by the UK Government. And there’s more. One of them graduated with a distinction. Yes, that guy who learnt English via TV. He graduated from a UK university with a distinction. There’s more. The other one, at the end of our scholarship year, received a prestigious internship with the BBC. You got that right- an internship with the world’s foremost English broadcaster. For both these friends of mine, they did only the necessary thing with English, just learning it, not obsessing over it.

In Eswatini we raise children with this sense that they have to master English in a way that is almost similar to native speakers. That is absolutely unnecessary. And this, sadly, is done at the expense of siSwati. How much of siSwati will be spoken in 50 years? We should aim to teach our children English so that they can be able to construct sensible sentences and hold meaningful conversations. Anything beyond that is an unnecessary distraction and it will continue to delay our development.


2. Tolerance is a two-way street.

From afar, the UK looks like a place where there is universal agreement on issues. Far from it. The UK is incredibly diverse so it is no surprise that there will always be differing views on many issues. But what they do get right, or at least they try to do, is to respect the next person’s right to a particular view or action, so long as it is not harmful to the next person. It doesn’t matter what you feel about the other person’s view, you just respect their right to see things that way. For example, I was Old Trafford countless times during the course of my stay in the UK and for a majority of those times, there were protests led by the major fans’ groups.

And yet, not even once was my way into Old Trafford, the MegaStore or around the stadium blocked. I would make my own decision if I wanted to join the protests or keep it moving and whatever decision I made, it didn’t affect my experience there. There were countless other protests and strikes during my year in the UK, as well. University workers went on strike as did rail workers. But when they did, classes at university would continue and rail companies would organise buses to carry passengers and no one would be blocking roads and telling those passengers to disembark. This is something, I believe, we can get better at in Eswatini. Sometimes there can be a feeling that people are being pushed by some to act or see things in the same way. It can’t be. Tolerance is a two-way street.


 
3. Talk about what you do!

Eswatini is Nation of intrinsic humbleness, where individuals rarely talk about the things they do and have accomplished. I learnt in the UK and within the global community of Chevening that such an approach can be fatal, especially for one’s professional growth. To be competitive globally, you must be ready to highlight what you do- you must be able to convincingly and coherently tell your story. While this doesn’t mean we should spend time shouting about what we have done to everyone, it simply calls on us to apply a strategic approach to telling our story.

During our second trimester, we had several guest speakers from the communications industry and I noticed how they packed their presentations with highlights of their work. And when you listned to them, you immediately got the feeling this was someone who knew their story. It is standard- in that part of the world, they know how to sell themselves and we must do it, too! Tools such as social media, LinkedIn, etc, should be our best friends- they provide a window for us to tell our story. As young people, in particular, we should embrace them for our growth!

 

 4. We must reform our approach to education

One of the great surprises of my time in the UK was discovering just how much the education system there is tailored to ensure that the student learns and passes. Simple! They want you to gain knowledge and pass. This is in complete contrast to our education system here at home where, at times, it can feel as though lecturers pit themselves against students. For example, I was shocked when we began our trimester one back in September 2022 that I could share a draft of my assignment with my lecturer and get comprehensive formative feedback.

I could also get one-on-one support with Library staff on referencing and the structure of my essays, for example. I was completely blown away by the availability of such support and I made sure to make use of all those opportunities. And the magic of this was that it completely transformed my learning experience and understanding, because, instead of studying just to get enough marks to pass, I was being urged to apply myself while getting the necessary guidance. I would love to see such an approach adopted here at home. Learning should be a worthwhile experience, not a regrettable one.


 
5. Collaboration is king

One of the things they do so well in the UK is collaboration. Across all sectors, you will find people and organisations collaborating. Forget rivalry, even Manchester United and Manchester City collaborate! People in the UK understand the power of working together and how individual benefits may be limited and for the short-term while teamwork unlocks limitless opportunities. While doing my placement with Salford City Council, I went to a meeting where several destinations and organisations in Salford and Manchester were deliberating on how to make a combined plan to draw visitors to Manchester and Salford.

So, this wasn’t one organisation working alone to draw visitors, but they understood that when you show a package of attractions to a possible visitor, they will most probably consider coming to the city instead of travelling for just one attraction. It sounds so simple yet it is something we haven’t fully explored here at home. Perhaps, then, instead of the 'sugar-belt' destinations positioning themselves as individual attractions, how about getting together to sell a package of activities that someone can travel down there to do? It’s something to think about.


 
6. We must invest in technology and forward looking infrastructure

On my last trip to London in July 2023, I wanted to see the Emirates, Stamford Bridge and Tottenham Hotspur stadiums. I had never been there and my knowledge of London, one of the world’s advanced cities, was limited. Plus, these stadiums are not exactly neighbours (Stamford Bridge is in West London and the Emirates and Spurs’ are in the North). And yet getting to them was a breeze! How, you ask? A combination of Google Maps and London’s efficient transport system. What the UK has done so, so well is investing in public infrastructure and technological advancement.

When you bring those two together, you create a potent mix that unleashes a thriving business sector (home deliveries, etc) and ease for the people who live in the country. I also noted how everything in the UK was done with people in mind. Old Trafford has a tram station near it and other excellent transport links made to ensure that the 70 000 people who go there every other weekend can travel efficiently. In fact, on match days, the frequency of trams going to Old Trafford is increased. It's another thing to think about.

 
7. Every country has its ills

It’s easy to think of developed, far away countries as absolutely perfect. They are not. They have issues, just as we do. I will never forget the shock I experienced when I discovered just how prevalent homelessness was in the UK. There is a mall in Manchester City centre called Arndale. In the evenings, you would find countless sleeping bags lined up along shop entrances. I was stunned. It was such a sad sight but also a reminder that every country and its people are battling some issue, one way or the other. Another day we were sitting at a table with Cheveners from all over the world. We started talking about the challenges facing our countries. I remember sitting there absolutely shocked as I discovered that most of the challenges discussed were similar right across the table. One person would mention a thing and almost everyone sitting there could relate.

And then, one other time I was chilling with friends from a fellow African country (West Africa), a leading economy in Africa, who told me that power cuts lasting for months are normal in their country. They told me that most people have generators in their homes. I was so surprised. Another person told me how the various ethnic groups in their country directly influence governance because people will vote based on ethnic affiliation and nothing else. These are issues you will not find in Eswatini, particularly to that extent, and yet Eswatini has challenges of its own, too.

These conversations I had and experiences people shared with me made me realise just how complicated the world is, and also, how almost every country is dealing with unique and at times, similar challenges. And in that, I learnt to give my own country just a bit more grace. I've also been reaffirmed in this: in the midst of challenges, we must continue to work together for the betterment of our countries.

So, there are my seven lessons. There were many others but these are the ones I wanted to share.

My UK experience was truly magical. I am grateful to have lived it and the experiences that I took away from it.

 

By: Sibongiseni Zondi

NB: Sibongiseni Zondi writes this blog in his personal capacity. The views expressed here do not represent the views of the Chevening Scholarship Secretariat, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and Chevening partners.

Zondi is a 2022/23 Chevening Scholarship alumnus from the Kingdom of Eswatini and also served as a 2022/23 Chevening Social Media Ambassador. He pursued a Master's Degree in Public Relations and Digital Communications at the University of Salford, in Manchester, United Kingdom.

Chevening is the UK Government’s international scholarships and fellowships programme. Chevening Scholarships are awarded by the UK Government to develop international leaders.

Comments

  1. Wow! So much insight in one piece. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting, thank you for the shared experience, wea are learning a lot from your lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece Mr Zondi. Indeed all these seven points are very true and important for us to reflect on and see how we can make the necessary mind-set changes and infrastructural developme t.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful and objective reflection. Living abroad really helps a person to open up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment