Debunking Chevening Scholarship myths

There are many myths about the Chevening scholarship. Some say you can only win the scholarship if you work in urban areas; some say you can only win it if you are below age 30; some say you can only become a Chevener if you work in the public sector. What if I told you all those things are not true and further proved it to you? 

With no upper age limit, no constraints on subjects that can be pursued and recognising different kinds of work experience including voluntary work and internships, the Chevening scholarship is one of the most flexible programmes of its kind around. 

So, to debunk these myths, I spoke to both current Cheveners and Chevening alumni who went against these prevailing myths. Under each myth below, I will feature a Chevener or Cheveners who share more about their Chevening journey. 


1. The Chevening scholarship is for people based in urban areas.

Verdict: False

Gugu Nkambule (MA Corporate Communication, Bournemouth University, 2016/2017) was based at Gundvwini High School, in rural Eswatini, at the time of winning the scholarship. She explains how she made her impact felt in the school and surrounding community, thus preparing her for winning the Chevening Scholarship:

"The scholarship is really not based on where you work. My journey towards Chevening began years before. When I started, it wasn't even about Chevening but it was about seeing gaps in the school that I was based in, that I felt needed to be addressed. I was fresh from university and got posted at a rural school. I had never been exposed to a rural environment before. So, when I got to that school, I realised that the pupils were living in a silo; they didn't have dreams. So, I identified that they didn't have mentors or people to look up to in the community. So, I resuscitated the Careers Department. I then brought people to come in and motivate the pupils to aspire to be something in the world. I then I introduced a job shadowing programme for the pupils which they had to apply for. 

That programme then helped revive an alumni association whereby those who had gone to tertiary institutions would come back and motivate the pupils at the school. It was the first time that these pupils began dreaming about even studying overseas. I supported them with a lot of other things including writing job applications, CV writing, and scholarship applications. I also formed alliances with local institutions that were aligned with the career mentorship programme. For instance, I remember that girls were not taking up Information Technology (IT) classes. So, I started a campaign to get girls to do IT. I invited women who were doing well in IT to come and motivate the girls in the school. I also initiated things such as orientation week and motivated for the support of pupils who were good in entrepreneurship. I was also involved in the English club at the school as a Master. 

Later on, I was handpicked by the Regional Inspector to be Trainer of Trainers, training other teachers, in the Manzini region and nationally, on language teaching. I got involved in so many aspects of education including setting exams and sitting on advisory panels. I was also recognised by the Ministry of Education with Excellence Awards for Best Performing Teacher. When COVID-19 hit, I was one of the teachers called in to strategise on how language teaching would be implemented during that era. And I'm proud to say, even though there were challenges, the initiatives we came up with, like taking lessons to national TV and radio, really assisted. In the community, I partnered with development agencies and worked in programmes such as women empowerment and HIV and AIDS education."



2. The Chevening scholarship is only for people who work in traditional employment (employed by another person/organisation).

Verdict: False

Mahmoud Khalil (MSc Financial Technology, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2022/23) won the Chevening Scholarship while working in his own start-up back in Sudan. He explains how being self-employed should not deter anyone from applying for the scholarship:

"This is a serious myth. Most people that I have met think that in order to apply for Chevening, you have to be working in a very senior position in an organisation, especially with humanitarian organisations or NGOs. However, this is not valid. I have never worked in any humanitarian organisation, NGO, or public sector. When I was preparing for my Chevening application, the first thing I looked at is the fact that although Chevening wanted people who make an impact in their community, it did not necessarily mean this impact had to be made only through working for someone else. So, as a start-up owner, the first question I asked myself was: am I serving a segment of the community that is really in need? And the answer to that question was yes. I was serving people who need access to microfinance, which made me have an impact on the overall economy of the country. Secondly, I knew that Chevening was looking for leaders and influencers in their communities. Being a business owner makes you a leader in many ways and it doesn't matter if it is a huge organisation or a small start-up. 

So, as business owner, I was constantly making decisions like, should we hire more people; should we expand; should we look into partnerships? All of these are decisions that I had to make on a daily basis and for me, that is what leadership is. The other big part is inspiring people to work with you- convincing people that we have the right vision. And in working with our beneficiaries and consumers, I had to really understand their needs and how we could help address their needs. For anyone who has a business, I think that it naturally makes you a leader because it puts you in place where you have to inspire people, you have to understand their needs and problems, and you have to make decisions on a daily basis. This is what leadership is. My third point is on connecting the dots and building a theme. I think my application made sense in connecting what I was doing in the past, what I was applying to do in terms of the course and what my future plan was. So, I think this is my important advice for anyone applying for Chevening: just connect the dots and build a theme that really makes sense for anyone who reads your essays and listens to your interviews."



3. The Chevening Scholarship is for people working in the public sector.

Verdict: False.

Michelle Mothibi (MSc Project Management, University of Reading, 2022/23) from Botswana has predominantly worked in the private sector. She explains how she approached her application:

"I work for an engineering consulting firm which is the voice of consulting firms in Botswana. Within that organisation, there is also a young professionals forum which I was the Chairperson of. Its aim is to be the voice of young professionals within the engineering fraternity. I think what made my Chevening application strong is that, as Chairperson, I initiated events and platforms that linked us with other organisations, including public sector organisations. I think that helped me have a better story to tell. So, for those working in the private sector, I think its very important to have linkages with other organisations. I think the other thing that helped me was linking what I wanted to do in Botswana with international standards and global organisations. That really makes your story stronger."



4. You can only win Chevening if you come from an English speaking country.

Verdict: False

Shaylim Castro (MA Journalism and Documentary Practice, University of Sussex, 2022/23) comes from Venezuela where Spanish is the main language of communication. She had no English language training in primary and high school. She explains how she didn't let that stop her from applying for Chevening:

"I spent around three years waiting for 'the perfect time' to apply for Chevening. My biggest concern was the English requirement as I learnt English by just watching movies and TV series, so I didn't feel my English was good. To be honest, when I finally applied I was still concerned about it, but I took the risk. And it was worth it. There were some unconscious and very conscious decisions I took in order to improve my spoken and written English, my biggest flaws. One of the (unconscious) things that helped me A LOT was working with English native speakers, in an international news company in my Spanish speaking home country. Although I didn't feel confident talking with them in English, I listened to them when talking to each other. And as an intern, I used to read any English article published. I say this was unconscious because my main goal there was not 'learning English,' it was something that just happened because I was constantly surrounded by the language. 

Now, the conscious decision I made: I started to take spoken English lessons with a professor/friend. By this time I was strongly considering applying (FINALLY) for Chevening. Once a week, I met this friend just to talk in English for an hour. It helped me to feel confident when talking. I made the decision to apply for Chevening because, after talking with a former scholar and attending some scholar workshops where scholars shared their experiences in the UK, including their struggles with the language, I realised Chevening does not look for the best English accent or a perfect English written essay. They look for leaders and people with a powerful impact in their country. 

Of course, I wrote my essays many, many times, looking for perfection, and of course, I asked my professor/friend to check my essays for any mistake, but she only edited some spelling mistakes. I also practised for the Chevening interview (my first EVER English interview!!) with her. She encouraged me to focus on my strengths (my story) rather than my sloppy, nervous English. That's exactly what I did and the British embassy officials were very friendly despite my nervousness. I'm not telling you that you don't need to know/speak English; of course you do. Your English has to be good enough to tell your story. It's ok to make some mistakes and it's ok to have an accent. Now living here, in the UK, I realised that most of the professors are really kind and helpful if you struggle with the language, and most of the UK's universities offer language support, which has been a relief."



5. You can only apply for Chevening to do a Master's in the field you currently work in.

Verdict: False

Lindokuhle Mthupha (MSc Marketing and Brand Management, Nottingham Trent University, 2022/23) had been working in Information Technology (IT) for nine years back in Eswatini. However, when applying for Chevening, she went for a Marketing MSc, a complete change of fields. She explains how she motivated her decision to pursue a Master's in a different field.

"An often-overlooked aspect of the Chevening scholarship is how flexible it is. What particularly fascinated me about this scholarship is its willingness to support pursuing a degree beyond your present field, provided it aligns with your future goals. Despite my background in IT, I am currently studying a MSc in Marketing and Brand Management. During my tenure in IT, I grew a passion for marketing, which I nurtured through diverse volunteer roles in marketing projects. I also pursued different certificates in marketing such as digital marketing certificates, social media short courses, to mention a few. These experiences and courses harmonized effectively with my IT background, furnishing me with the ability to understand and analyse online data. In my application, it was easy to connect my IT experience with my future goals because marketing is becoming more digital, and my IT skills will be useful in leveraging and navigating the different platforms and digital marketing tools. My ease with online tasks fundamentally resonates with the digital realm of marketing and branding."



6. Chevening is only for people aged under 30/ youth.

Verdict: False

Florence Marcus (International Law and Development, University of Nottingham, 2022/23) is now in her early 40s. She says she doubted if she would get the Scholarship but decided to highlight the rich experience she had acquired over the years when preparing her application. 

"I did encounter moments of doubt, especially considering that I was applying for this opportunity in my late 30s, significantly later than many other applicants. I was concerned that the scholarship might be more geared towards younger persons, but I reminded myself that age should not be a barrier to pursuing further education and personal growth. To overcome these fears, I focused on highlighting the rich experiences and maturity that my age brought to the table in my application. I emphasized my extensive work experience, my deep commitment to disability rights, and the resilience I had developed over the years in overcoming personal challenges. Ultimately, I realised that diversity in age and background is valued in the Chevening community, and I embraced my individual journey.

Planning to leave my responsibilities back home while pursuing my master's degree required meticulous planning and strong support from my office, family and network. I initiated open discussions with my work colleagues, family and friends, outlining my aspirations and the commitment required for the programme. We collectively worked out strategies to ensure that my responsibilities, including law office, NGO and other commitments, would be managed effectively during my absence.

My message to persons of my age group who are considering applying for Chevening but doubting themselves is simple: believe in your abilities and the unique perspective you bring. Age should never be a deterrent to pursuing higher education and personal growth. In fact, your life experiences and the wisdom gained over the years can be significant assets in your academic journey. Embrace the diversity of the Chevening community, and remember that it values candidates from various walks of life. Be confident in your story and how it has shaped your aspirations."

Florence is also living with a disability. She had this to say about the support she has received in the UK:

"As a mature student with a disability (an amputee since age 5), I have experienced robust support systems both within and outside the academic realm. The UK has demonstrated a strong commitment to inclusivity, with my university offering comprehensive disability support, including accessible facilities, academic support and dedicated staff to ensure an accommodating learning environment. Additionally, the wider community is generally sensitive and considerate, making everyday life more manageable. The UK's proactive approach to disability accommodation has significantly eased my experience as a student and resident with a disability, affirming the UK's reputation as an inclusive and supportive destination."


Similarly, Dr. Ijeoma Jane Nnodim (MSc Public Health for Development, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 2022/23) was 43 when she applied for the Scholarship. This is what she says:

"I had pretty much buried my head in my studies for years, from Medical School to a postgraduate residency training. By the time I came up for air I discovered that I had passed the age limit for a lot of opportunities. The Chevening Scholarship looked very attractive, competitive and prestigious and I wondered if I could win it. At a session organised by a Chevening alumni, one of the questions I asked was if there were any age limits. I was happy there were no upper limits and then got to work preparing for it. To be sincere it was not an easy decision. I had to leave my family behind and also delegate some tasks back home. A good family support system bolstered my decision to proceed with the scholarship application and accepting it when I won it. I am particularly grateful to my husband and mother for their support. My advice to my agemates is that age is just a number. As long as there are no age restrictions in any opportunity your heart desires, go for it. Chevening has literally changed my life. I walk in circles that I previously had no access to. I have gone to places I would probably not have gone to before. And also, being part of the Chevening network, for life, is a privilege that is not to be sneezed at."


So, then, aspiring Cheveners, what should stop you from applying now? If you live in a Chevening eligible country, have an undergraduate degree and minimum two years of work experience, stop doubting yourself, you qualify for this life-changing opportunity. Go for it! Remember, applications open on 12 September. All the best.


By: Sibongiseni Zondi (Chevening Social Media Ambassador)

NB: Sibongiseni Zondi writes this blog in his personal capacity. The views expressed here do not represent the views of the Chevening Scholarship Secretariat, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and Chevening partners.

Zondi is a 2022/23 Chevening Scholarship recipient from the Kingdom of Eswatini pursuing a Master's Degree in Public Relations and Digital Communications at the University of Salford, in Manchester, United Kingdom. 

Chevening is the UK Government’s international scholarships and fellowships programme. Chevening Scholarships are awarded by the UK Government to develop international leaders.

Comments

  1. Thank you for debunking those myths Zondi. Your post was very helpful and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment